Banbury: 01295 985375
Sonning: 01491 905375​​​​​​​


We are Gas Safe/Oftec Oil registered heating engineers
What is the difference between a plumber and a heating engineer? Its good to know so you can call the right person for the right job.

A bit about the plumber

In Roman times, plumbers used to work with lead piping, which is where the name came from. The Latin word for lead is 'Plumbum’ so you can see why they’re now called plumbers!
Modern plumbing devices are no longer made from lead (in fact plumbers spend a lot of time removing lead piping from homes), the name has remained the same. Today plumbers tend to work on wet and dry pipes. From dishwashers and drains to toilets and sinks, if you’ve got a leak, it’s a plumber you’ll need to call.
Although some plumbers are also capable and qualified to work on heating appliances, it is important to check before hiring one to fix your boiler!

So what do heating engineers do?

The clue is in the name! Basically heating engineers work solely on the heating appliances found in buildings. They carry out a wide range of jobs from maintaining and installing heating pipework to fixing appliances when they break down.
Heating engineers tend to work on a wide range of properties including residential, commercial and industrial, ensuring that they are heated safely and efficiently. Whereas some plumbers work on both water and heating, heating engineers are reserved for heating only and don’t venture into any other aspect of plumbing work.

Who do I call for boiler services and repairs?

If you are having trouble with your boiler or it needs a service, then your safest bet is to hire a heating engineer.

Gas Safe Heating Engineers

Before hiring anyone to work on your boiler and heating system, you need to check that they are Gas Safe.
Gas safety legislation in the UK, Northern Ireland, Isle of Man and Guernsey sets out gas work as activities that involve:

• Maintaining, servicing, adjusting, disconnecting, altering or renewing the fitting or purging it of air or gas
• Changing the position of a fitting that is not readily movable
• Removing a fitting

A Gas Safe registered heating engineer must only ever carry out these activities. Any plumber that carries out this work without first obtaining a Gas Safe certificate will be breaking the law and could potentially endanger you and those living in your household.

Our heating engineers

Here at macD Plumbing and Heating our heating engineers are Gas Safe registered and therefore competent in carrying out work on boilers and heating systems safely. From boiler installations to solar water heating, we provide a wide range of services that allow our customers to benefit from efficient and effective heating systems in their home and workplace.